WELCOME to DESS DAHASRY of MALAYSIA..

Sunday, May 16, 2010

TEACHER'S DAY....16th May.


When I became a teacher, little did I know that this profession is that BIG... I thought teaching is easy as A,B,C..,but, my god..., it is A to Z !!! It is Zero to Infinity ...!!!

March 1979:  My first teaching practical in Datok Hamzah Secondary School in Port Klang, Selangor. It's an all boys school and you can understand the level of discipline.. I taught Biology and Science for the 4th formers. Being a young teacher at the age of 21, students were my friends.. It was fun.. We played soccer on Teacher's Day and there was a stage show I remembered I sang "Help Me Make It Through The Night" with my folk guitar...

March 1980:  My second teaching practical in STAR (Sekolah Tengku Ampuan Rahimah), Klang, Selangor.. The school was co-ed. I taught Science for Form 2. It was in the afternoon session.. Teaching science was fun in those days because students were eager to do find out new things.... The students in STAR were active and they do funny things... On Teacher's Day, we had class parties, games (Teachers vs Students), Teacher's Day Concert.... And of course, I received a lot of gifts !!!

Jun 1980:  Posted to Perlis...to  Syed Alwi Secondary School, Kayang.. Was forced to teach BM (Bahasa Melayu) by the Headmaster (Wan Fadzil). I graduated in Biology and BioChemistry from UPM and this fella forced me to teach BM !! No common sense.... I was pushed to the afternoon session to teach BM for the Form 1s and Form 2s. But one nice lady teacher (cikgu Aishah) sympathized with me and made arrangement with the afternoon Senior Assistant to change with her time table. She was teaching Science and she graduated in BM.
So, I got to teach Science Form 1 and Form 2.
But I was transferred after 3 months in Syed Alwi. The reason was because I used 10 cans of butane gas for science experiments per week. The Headmaster scolded me for making students do experiments and using all the butane gas (Bunsen burners) where he said I should have made demonstrations only to the students... Can you imagine that???

September 1980: I was transferred 24 hours to Syed Hassan Secondary Schoool.  Met the headmaster (Mr Yahaya Othman) who persuaded me to teach Maths for the Form 5s. There was no Maths teachers available for that level (those days there were not many Maths graduates) and I took up the challenge... Moreover, the year before that, no one passed the Maths paper in the SPM..(surprised!!).
For 3 months, I taught Maths for the SPM candidates(3 classes) and guess what...? That year, the percentage of passes in the SPM exam for Maths was 18%.  The Headmaster was so pleased that he made me taught Maths Form 5 every year. I was made a Maths examiner by the Examination Syndicate of Malaysia under his recommendation till today.... That began in 1981.
I built an empire in Syed Hassan Secondary School from 1981 to 1991. That school was a grade D school before I came. Nobody wanted to study there because of so many negative achievements by the school. I started off with composing the school song "Bertekun Kunci Kejayaan" so that the students will love the school.. To love your school is to come to school and do things for the school.. And...that was the start of all pleasant things...


Year by year, SMSH (Syed Hassan Secondary School) made its mark. From studies to sports, music, you name it....., it was SMSH all the way....until somebody evil forced me out!! Envy by what I achieved in SMSH, this guy made false accusations on me and I was transferred 24 hours out of SMSH...


December 1991: I was in Arau Secondary School, a new school. There were no school buildings and we had to squat for three years at Tengku Budriah Primary School in the afternoon.... I went through those 3 gruelling years with sadness and anger...By 1995, the school buildings of Arau Secondary School were up and we moved in. It was back to basics... We put up day by day... and in 1997, the person who "kicked" me out of SMSH came to see me in school. He was then the Director of Education of Perlis. He brought along my transfer letter. I was to transfer back to SMSH in September 1997. I showed my anger by tearing the letter in front of him.. I showed my disrespect to him.. I didn't care.. I was upset.. I cried inside..
The Director went back. I stay put. The Headmaster consoled me and asked me to consider the transfer... I didn't...

January 1998: Another tranfer letter came to me. This time, it was from the Ministry of Education. I was to tranfer to SMSH to take up the job as coach of the "Tunas Cemerlang" joint programme by the Education Ministry and the National Sports Council. I couldn't resist this time because I love "Track and Field" so much.
So, I was back in SMSH for the second time...until 2002  SMSH later on became the Sports School of Perlis.

August 2002: Transferred to Padang Siding Secondary School in Pauh, a new school. Reason: Another case of envy and jealousy by some people in the Education Department of Perlis. This time it was the Head of the Sports Sector. He was doing the wrong thing, and I criticized his method of doing things. He was offended and transferred me out of SMSH. That's the prize I got for being vocal. How can I follow some stupid orders, to take my athletes for an "army alike" camp 5 days before the MSSM meet. He forced every athletes of Perlis to attend the camp at Timah Tasoh to make the athletes tired and not win the competition. I did not attend the camp (*as Chief Coach) but all my athletes had to, or they will not be allowed to represent the state. They had no choice.

Obviously, that year, 2002, no one won anything... And...I was to be blamed !!! As Chief Coach, I was to be blamed for not getting any medals!!! You see..., you see... Some big guys have stupid minds !!!!
Nothing much to say on my 6-year stay in Padang Siding, except teaching and grooming kids to excel in their studies.. Actually, it was the first time in my teaching carrier, I had nothing to do after school... I took up golf and had my handicap down to 14.  I made friends with Tiger woods thro' his website and he was about to come to Malaysia to play with me... I was the Manager of the SUKMA golf team for 3 games.


February 2009: Transferred to Derma English Secondary School (DESS) on the ticket of being the teacher in charge of the Orchestra and Brass Band (the niche area of this Cluster School). The school was having problems with the two music teachers and I was supposed to be the middle man. I don't have a degree in Music like the two teachers do, but I studied music until the Berklee School of Music (Correspondance) and was one of the arrangers of the Perlis Indra Kayangan Orchestra way back in 1987. I used to have my own band and have recorded songs at RTM. I am a keyboardist and could read and play music.
But one of the music teacher got frustrated and transferred himself out. The other teacher came to me and said directly on my face " WE DON'T NEED YOU !!".  We have Mr. X and Mr Y to help us....  This was said 3 days before the Brass Band competition held in Johore, last year in August.  So..politics is here in schools...
That's the problem with some teachers in schools.. So, I cannot get close to the Music Department in my school.
It's about Maths teaching again in Derma. And I feel comfortable teaching Dermarians... Students are 1st class and I love them..., except the music group!!! They have their own group and good luck to them....

wooo.....long episode, eh...  HAPPY TEACHERS' DAY...
Have a nice day....

3 comments:

MamaFaMi said...

Happy Teacher's Day to you and all the teachers...

DESS said...

Thank You...

Anonymous said...

i thought teachers wont supposed to hold grudges.

:)

Post a Comment