Pineapple (Ananas comosus) is the common name for a tropical plant and its edible fruit, which is actually a multiple fruit, consisting of coalesced berries. It was given the name pineapple due to its resemblance to a pine cone.The plant is indigenous to South America and is said to originate from the area between Southern Brazil and Paraguay.
Southeast Asia dominates world production: in 2001 Thailand produced 1.979 million tons and the Philippines 1.618 million tons, while in the Americas Brazil produced 1.43 million tons. Total world production in 2001 was 14.220 million tons.
Raw pineapple is an excellent source of manganese (45% DV in a 100 g serving) and vitamin C (80% DV per 100 g)
Now, the health benefits:
1. Pineapples contain the enzymes - bromelain, which is a useful anti-inflammatory, effective in reducing swelling and assisting in the treatments of acute sinusitis, sore throats, arthritis and gout.
2. Pineapples are high anti-oxidants. A very good source in vitamin C, pineapples offer a great protection against free radicals that attack healthy cells of the body. Free radicals can cause atherosclerosis and diabetic heart disease, asthma attacks and cancers such as colon, breast, lung and skin cancer.
3. Pineapples are a good source of manganese, a mineral essential for energy production. It also have a good amount of thiamine (vitamin B+) for energy producing.
4. Pineapples are also good for maintaining good eye health.
5. Pineapples regulate the gland and found to be helpful in cases of goiter (enlargement of the thyroid gland).
6. Pineapples prevent nausea, includes morning sickness and motion sickness.
7. Fresh pineapple juice is used in removing intestinal worms.
8. Pineapples are good for catarrh (secretions from mucous membranes).
9. Pineapples are good for high blood pressure patients. It helps to remove fibrin that causes heart disease and stroke.
So... the pineapple is a very good fruit for health purposes...
Have a nice day...