WELCOME to DESS DAHASRY of MALAYSIA..

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

TEACHING - Chapter 4(a) - SMK SYED HASSAN 1981

SMK SYED HASSAN
KANGAR, PERLIS.
1st September 1980 - that's the exact date I was transferred to Sekolah Menengah Syed Hassan, Kangar, Perlis - from Sekolah Menengah Syed Alwi, Kayang.
There was no letter of transfer. It was made on a "mutual" transfer made by the Education Department - something like "on loan" to another school. The problem was that the Principal of the former school was not "in good terms" with me. I don't know why he hated me so much... till today, I really don't know the exact reason - all I know is that I've used 10 cans of butane gas in a month to teach Science. Is that a sin??

I reported duty at 7.30am on 1st September, 1980, to the Principal of Syed Hassan Secondary School, Mr. Yahya Othman. He welcomed me with open arms and thanked me for accepting the offer to come to the school. Accepting an offer? Weird... (something fishy happening behind me??)
Mr. Yahya Othman was a nice man. He was just like a father to me. He treated me like his son.
He requested me to teach Mathematics for five Form 5 classes as the school had not had a Maths teacher for the past 2 months - the former Maths teacher quit teaching and followed her husband to the USA. The Form 5 students were 3 months away from the SPM exams and they needed a Maths teacher.
I graduated in Biology and Biochemistry and it was a real challenge for me to teach Maths for Form 5 students who were due to take the SPM in 3 months' time. To make matters worst, the school record stated that the percentage of passes in Maths the year before (1979) was only 18%. And I had 3 months to improve the stats !!

I took the trouble to do some "homework" on how to teach Maths (in the first place) and how to surpass the 18% passes of the SPM Maths paper (for the school). God willing, I managed to achieve a 38.4% pass in Maths for the school during the 1980 SPM public examination... What a relief !!! I"ve passed my first test !! I've done my job...

Mr. Yahya Othman was so pleased with what I've done and I was officially transferred to Syed Hassan Secondary School (known as SMK Syed Hassan now) on January 1st, 1981. I was also made a Maths examiner by the Examination Syndicate (Lembaga Peperiksaan Malaysia) in 1981 - recommended by Mr. Yahya Othman.
To add more excitement, Mr. Baharom Othman - the officer in charge of 'transfer of teachers' in the Ministry of Education - came to Perlis as the new Education Director of Perlis. He was the one who helped me "not to be posted to Sabah" (see my last post for the details). Somewhere in January 1981, the new Education Director of Perlis, Mr. Baharom Othman, asked me to see him in his office !!
"How do you like Perlis?" he asked me.
I just smile at him. Actually, I was so pleased to meet him and I thanked him for his help (for not posting me to Sabah).
He asked me to do a favour to Perlis. He asked me to groom athletes in Athletics and win medals for Perlis in MSSM meet (national schools meet). He must have read my biography. I was a state runner during my school days in the state of Perak. I took the challenge and ... I was made a state Athletics coach in 1981.
*There's where my career as a coach began.... until I was made a national coach in 1997 by the National Sports Council (MSN). I will write more on this in my coming posts...

1981 was the beginning of many good things in my life - my teaching career in Maths and also in Sports as a coach, especially Athletics.
Photos of my teaching career and activities in 1981:
Staff room with my colleagues - 1981
Teachers' Day class party with Principal Yahya Othman - 1981
 fun times with my students in class.
picnic with SMSH staff in Pulau Brasmana (off Kuala Perlis).
 with my Form 5 students in Penang..
 field trip to Penang with my Form 5 students - 1981
 USM library - 1981
 Form 5 students - 1981
 Mr Yahya Othman - the Principal 1981
 Teacher's Day 1981 celebration - singing "Suatu Masa".
 Lee Lai Ngo - a Form 5A student 1981.

Better things to come from 1981 onwards in SMK Syed Hassan..
More stories in my next post/chapter.
Have a nice day...  

7 comments:

IndaMarya said...

bestnya bila ada gambag2 lama na.tapi masa tu bkan ramai yg ada camera kan?

DESS said...

yep.. seronok tengok gambar2 lama. Nasib baik masih simpan untuk tatapan anak2 dan rakan2..

Anonymous said...

seronok baca pengalaman cikgu....satu.-satu..ingatan cikgu..sampai sy pun tulis dlm kertas tarikh2 itu, even that time i was not born then...hihi..

DESS said...

Thank you..

Raakin said...

Hello ,
Am Mrs Angela Rice. Am a lady with a great testimony I live in USA and i am a happy

woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor

situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me

happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $360,000.00 to start my

life all over as i am a mother with 2 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan

lender that help me with a loan of $360,000.0.Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you

are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that

is Mrs cynthia corvin, that refer you to him. contact Mr.Aldis Curt,via email:-

ahmedakeem411@yahoo.in

*Hard Money Loans
*Business Loan
*Debt Consolidation Loan
*Personal Loan
*Business Expansion Loan
*Student Loan
*Agricultural Development Loan
...And Lots more
Email: ahmedakeem411@yahoo.in

Richy Walters said...


Good morning my dear brothers and sisters in Christ, I am Mr Richy Walters, a reputable, legitimate and accredited money lender. I loan money to Christians and trust worthy people in need of financial assistance at 3% interest rate. Do you have a bad credit or are in need of money to pay bills? Let me take this medium to inform you that I assist beneficiary reliable as I'll be glad to offer you a loan from a minimum of $5000 and above.Please write with the below information. After the reply, you will be sent a loan application form to fill. (There are no credit check, 100% Guaranteed!) I hope you will allow me to be of service to you. Sincerely. Contact us via email:skypebankloanfirm@gmail.com

Ernest Klean said...

Hello everyone, I am Ernest Klean, i saw a testimony online about how one Craig Bernard got His Loan from this legit loan lender. I"m currently living in USA. i was stuck in a financial situation and i needed to refinance and pay my bills. I tried seeking loans from various loan firms both private and corporate but never was successful, and most banks declined my credit ,do not fall prey to some of those hoodlums that call them self money lender they are all scam, all they want is your money and you well not hear from them again they have done it to me twice before I decided to try this man being that He is a man of GOD. I contacted Rev George Edward. The most interesting part of it is that my loan was transfer to me within 74 hours so I will advice you to contact Rev George Edward if you are interested in getting a loan contact Him via email georgewardloanhome@outlook.com

Post a Comment